Saint Luke's Hospital, 1894-1980

By: Josephine Robertson

Price: $25.95

Quantity: 1 available

Book Condition: Used - Very Good


Very Good+ No marks or writing observed in text. Binding tight and square. Gently read. No dust jacket as issued. ............ .................. ................. SAINT LUKE'S MEDICAL CENTER (formerly Saint Luke's Hospital), was founded on 30 January 1894 as Cleveland General Hospital. The articles of incorporation of the College Building & Hospital Assn. (later SAINT LUKE'S HOSPITAL ASSN.) were signed that day, and that fall Cleveland General Hospital opened with 75 beds, on Woodland Ave. near E. 20th St. The hospital's main purpose was to provide clinical training for students from the Medical Department of Wooster Univ. (see MEDICINE), and a training school for nurses (see NURSING). The incorporators were Dr. GUSTAV WEBER†, Leonard Schlather, James B. Parker, and Drs. MARCUS ROSENWASSER†, Henry W. Kitchen, and Charles B. Parker. All were connected with the Medical Department of Wooster Univ. (Cleveland). Important early figures at St. Luke's included Sister Caroline Kirkpatrick, superintendent of the Training School for Nurses, FRANCIS FLEURY PRENTISS†, one of the first presidents, and his wife, ELISABETH SEVERANCE ALLEN PRENTISS†, who provided vital financial support. In 1906 under the leadership of Francis Prentiss, Cleveland General was renamed St. Luke's Hospital. The year before, the medical staff had affiliated with the medical department of Ohio Wesleyan Univ., a Methodist institution. St. Luke's purpose was now to 'conduct a general hospital and school of nursing.' In 1908 the hospital moved to a new 120-bed facility on Carnegie Ave. near E. 66th St. By 1910 bed capacity had increased to 180, and the Cleveland Maternity Dispensary was added. The hospital moved in 1927 into a new facility, largely financed by Elisabeth Prentiss, on Shaker Blvd. near E. 116th St. At this time the hospital had approx. 40 physicians on the medical staff, 12 on the house staff, and 125 nurses. Following the Depression, St. Luke's embarked on a program of expansion that continued until the early 1980s. In 1942, a central service wing was added, housing Medical Research, Surgical Research, the Dietary Department, Purchasing, and Accounting. Completion of the Nurses' Residence in 1948 freed the East Wing and enabled the hospital to increase its bed capacity. Two other buildings were completed in 1963 and 1975. St. Luke's also affiliated with other area nursing schools, including CUYAHOGA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (1964) and Kent State University (1968); its own school of nursing closed in 1970. Over the years, St. Luke 's achieved distinction through several of its departments. Early graduates of the Training School for Nurses were the first to practice public-health nursing in the city. Under, Dr. ARTHUR SKEEL†, the Obstetrics Division from 1910-38 was the most advanced and innovative unit of its kind in Cleveland. The Department of Research, organized in 1952, originated studies in emphysema and cardiocirculatory problems and went on to , develop the first heart-lung machine.

Title: Saint Luke's Hospital, 1894-1980

Author Name: Josephine Robertson

Categories: Local Interest,

Publisher: Saint Luke's Hospital: January 1981

ISBN Number: B0006E4TVG

Size: Hardcover

Book Condition: Used - Very Good

Seller ID: 50055